Migraine Treatment Myth Revealed

The concept of healing yourself from disease is a touchy subject often known to elicit eye-rolls from many well-respected medical professionals. After all, healing yourself is just another migraine myth and defeats the purpose of a doctor, right?

Our environment influences our health and making certain changes to our environment can thereby change the course of a disease process. Your environmental can negatively affect you. The nerve endings in our bodies are hypersensitive and this sensitivity makes these nerves more susceptible to pain. Migraines can attack at any moment, and although medication can help minimize pain, it can’t eliminate nerve sensitivity. Medication should never be used as an only means of treatment.

Healing Yourself

You should always be taking steps to heal you.  At the end of the day, you are responsible for you.  A doctor sees you maybe 10% of the time, but what happens the other 90%?  You’re in charge. Healing yourself from migraine involves identifying triggers, doing what you can to control your environment and strengthening the body and brain to better combat causes before they become symptoms.

The Truth About Holistic Medicine

Holistic medicine is about maintaining balance in the mind, body, and spirit. Practitioners understand the human body uses systems that are interdependent upon each other. When one area isn’t functioning correctly (such as your brain), the rest of your body suffers too.

Holistic migraine doctors assess the patient’s lifestyle to help understand triggers. They examine:

  • Diet
  • Sleeping Patterns
  • Health Issues
  • Personal life (relationships, work environment, etc.)

Using this information along with other analytical data (blood work, urinanalysis, stool and saliva tests, etc.), a holistic doctor will create a treatment plan inclusive of traditional medicine and lifestyle changes.

The truth is migraines have baffled traditional doctors for decades. The holistic approach provides insight into a problem caused by several factors. At the very least, holistic medicine helps migraineurs understand the mental and emotional factors triggering their episodes.

Going Into Remission

Most conventional doctors aren’t sure why migraines stop, but they have a few ideas.

  • Age
  • Gender
  • Decreased Environmental Sensitivities

Migraineurs over the age of 40 tend to have fewer headaches. Researchers aren’t sure what causes the sudden change, but they attribute it to a drop in hormone levels for women. Male migraineurs usually go into remission faster than women.

When it comes to sensitivity, migraineurs with increased sensitivity levels tend to have longer migraine episodes or attacks. The number of episodes a migraineur has per month also affects your chances of going into remission. If you have less than 15 attacks per month than you will likely enter remission faster than a migraineur with 25 attacks per month (see sources below for more information).

Can You Heal Your Mind?

Dr. Dale Bredesen, a neurodegenerative researcher at UCLA, wrote a book entitled “The End of Alzheimer’s: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline.”

In his book, Dr. Bredesen identifies genes that make a person more likely to develop Alzheimer’s and also discovered that mitochondrial dysfunction leads to Alzheimer’s. Free radicals damage mitochondria, and you can control the number of free radicals in your body.

The Alzheimer’s study is similar to migraine studies in that’s scientists have identified genetic factors that predispose someone to migraines much the same way genetic factors can predispose someone to Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers like Dr. Bredesen have learned lifestyle changes could reduce or eliminate migraine attacks all together.

What Can be Done?

Healing yourself from migraines is a complicated task. It involves a comprehensive plan from your doctor and lots of self-motivation and self-implementation. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to migraine care and always research your options and speak with your physician. Most importantly, if your physician doesn’t seem to be “on-board” with your self-help strategies and offers nothing more than another life-long medication, it may be time to look for a new physician.

 

Sources:

Mercola

Web MD

How Mitochondrial Affects Health

Tap for Headaches

My Migraine Brain

Migraine Remission